Thursday, October 30, 2008

Is the grass greener on the other side?

The other day I went to church and during the homily my priest made an analogy that life is like a set of railroad tracks. One rail is the good things happening in your life and at the same time the other track represents the bad things that are happening in your life. I thought about this and I agree. Bobby is now out of work for 6 months and had a close call with his ticker. The economy is crap and it is taking a toll on us (as I am sure a lot of other people). But on the other hand I have a great job, Ryan is the best thing that ever happened to us and her smile and laughter is getting us through this not so easy time. On the other hand it seems as though some people have an easy ride (fabulous family vacations, wifey is a stay at home mom, etc.) and I am wondering if I am jealous of these people or if the grass is greener where they are? But doesn't everyone have a set of railroad tacks in their life?

I hope I don't sound too cynical - I would never begrudge someone for what they have because I do thank the Lord above for all that I have. AMEN!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope things work out for Bobby and some work comes about. My dad went through these bouts when he'd be on the list for months without any work. Sometimes it got so bad that he considered leaving the trade. Other times, it would be so busy that he'd have to turn down work. As someone who grew up in a union family, I can identify with what you are going through. Eventually, it does pay off. My dad is now a carpenter's union retiree (after 40 years in the union).

Unknown said...

I should also add, don't lose faith.